Building a new website can prove to be an overwhelming and difficult task, especially for beginners. Luckily, the web is full of great tools and resources for just this purpose. When it comes time to build a website, the first choice to be made is what site builder will be used to create and host the final web page. There is no shortage of options, but if website designers want the best there is to offer they can choose from WordPress, Wix, SiteBuilder, Weebly, and SquareSpace. Out of the many website builders to choose from, these five are the very best. Below, the pros and cons of each website builder are listed so that designers may begin making their web hosting decisions.
- Attracts developers: WordPress has become extremely popular, and so it attracts a lot of competitive developers who are able to contribute directly to the site’s source code. What this means for users is constant site-improvements and new plugins.
- Versatility: This platform is great for hosting everything from small blogs to multi-paged business sites. Even the smallest websites have room to grow with this option.
- SEO capabilities: WordPress is great for hosting SEO content and has many plugins designed specifically to help with Meta titles and headings.
- Difficult coding: Unless the site builder has coding and developing skills, creating a custom layout on WordPress can be difficult. A designer with HTML experience may need to be hired.
- Update maintenance: This site has frequent updates, and some plugins are only designed for a specific version. Users will need to keep on top of this.
- Easy configuration: Wix features a drag and drop configuration and plenty of design guidelines, making their platform incredibly easy to customize.
- Business specific: At initial setup, Wix asks users to choose what type of business they are running. They then provide helpful features targeted at a relevant customer base.
- Support: Wix has no shortage of support on their website. They have phone, email, and site support available with great customer service.
- Price: The ad-free version of Wix is more expensive than all of its competitors.
- Locked template: Once an initial template is chosen at setup, it cannot be changed later on.
- Easy to design: SiteBuilder has over 10,000 templates to choose from and features many easy-to-add components so that users can customize a unique site according to their preferences.
- E-commerce: This platform offers many branding options and many of its templates are great for e-commerce, making it great for larger businesses.
- SEO control: SiteBuilder is a great platform for users who wish to post SEO content. Many search engine resources are available.
- Locked template: Like Wix, SiteBuilder forces their users to keep the template they choose at initial signup.
- Minimal support: This platform offers very little technical support to their users.
- Intuitive interface: Weebly’s platform features an intuitive interface, helping users design the best website possible for their needs.
- Onboarding: At initial setup, Weebly offers a significant amount of onboarding and education, so users can learn about website design as they go.
- Support: This platform has a great amount of phone, email, and chat support. Additionally, the site offers many forums and help centers with troubleshooting guides.
- Basic design: The templates and designs offered by Weebly are basic, and to significantly customize users will need a good amount of coding and HTML knowledge.
- Minimally updated: This platform only installs useful updates about one or two times a year.
- Template designs: SquareSpace offers high-quality template designs that will make their user’s websites appear professional and attractive.
- Simple customization: This platform features many customization options during site design. No HTML coding experience is required.
- Onboarding and support: At initial setup, SquareSpace offers plenty of onboarding to make the design process go smoothly. They follow this up by providing 24/7 support to their users.
- Single payment option: SquareSpace uses Stripe as their only available payment option for e-commerce sites. This is safe and secure, but may be inconvenient and limiting.
- All-in-one platform: This platform functions as an all-in-one site, meaning that no third party apps will be usable on the websites they host.
The above five web hosting platforms are the best options for website builders. Each has its fair share of benefits and drawbacks, and there is something for everyone on the list.